Attention All PHOTOGRAPHERS
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
Looking to Participate in the CONTACT 2012 Photography Festival?
The Gladstone Hotel in collaboration with Toronto’s SpeakEasy Event will once again produce a group exhibition entitled EXPOSED for the CONTACT Toronto Photography Festival, which takes place in May 2012.
EXPOSED: will showcase the work of contemporary photographers (both established and emerging). The exhibition will be co-produced by the Gladstone Hotel and SpeakEasy and curated by Ozant Kamaci and David Brown.
NEW THIS YEAR: Exposed 2012 will include the work of selected local and international artists who have been invited by the curators to participate. These photographers are established and fast emerging and reinforce our commitment to presenting a show with an impact.
The Gladstone Hotel is renting second floor exhibition space to individuals or groups of photographers interested in participating in this Marque event. We invite innovative, cutting-edge photographers to submit expressions of interest.
Please consider the exhibition context of the show. As much as you will be selling your work through Exposed, the installation of the work must be considered to best represent the thematic or conceptual pushes of your work. As we choose this work based on the artist, please include a brief description of your intent for the work and your approach to installation.
Dates & Details:
Show Date: Thursday May 3 – Wednesday May 23, 2012
Gallery Hours: 12pm-5pm Daily
Opening Reception: Thursday May 3, 2011 7pm-10pm
Installation Date: Wednesday May 2, 2011 9am-5pm
Strike Date: Wednesday May 23, 2012 5pm-10pm
Submission Deadline: Friday January 13, 2012
Signed Contract and Deposit: Due Jan 20, 2012
First Artist Meeting: Wednesday February 15, 2012, 6pm
Second Artist Meeting: Wednesday April 18, 2012, 6pm
Submission Fee: Free
Participation Fees & Display Opportunities:
PUBLIC GALLERY SPACE $250* + GST
• Artists May submit a maximum of 5 pieces for consideration. 1 to 5 pieces may be selected by the curators.
• Artwork will be curated and hung by the organizers.
• Photographs must be professionally framed and ready for hanging.
• No commission on sales.
• Photographers may collaborate to share 1 of 7 Exhibition Rooms.
(Each room will be billed according to linear hanging area, please inquire for specific pricing. Groups will be responsible for hanging their own work)
Why should you participate?
• EXPOSED will be a registered CONTACT Festival exhibition listed in the CONTACT 2012 guide and website
• The Gladstone has become a destination venue for CONTACT visitors, drawing significant crowds for the past 7 years.
• Exhibition and individual participants will be promoted in Gladstone Bag e-newsletter and Gladstone website Event Listings as well as featured on Gladstone Hotel website Exhibition Page and Gladstone Exhibition Press Release
• Showcase your work in the bright, beautiful spaces and newly restored Victorian grandeur of the Gladstone
• Gallery hours 7 days a week
The Gladstone is committed to providing participants with a rewarding and fulfilling experience including:
FOCUS – on established and emerging artists with a range of aesthetic sensibilities.
EXCLUSIVITY – In the unique exhibition setting of our historic hotel, the physical size, focus, and mandate of the exhibition will provide the opportunity for every participant to shine.
EXPOSURE – The Gladstone and SpeakEasy Events have successful track records of drawing attendees to exhibitions including Toronto and international press, local and international arts industry professionals, curators, gallery owners, collectors, patrons, and the general public.
CONNECTIONS – The Gladstone and SpeakEasy Events focus on creating networking opportunities for artists with various press and industry professionals as a primary exhibition objective. This focus is seen as a hallmark of success by many past exhibition participants.
These connections are enhanced by advance marketing that includes press releases, personal invitations, and an Opening Evening Reception hosted by the hotel.
ACCESSIBILITY – Participation costs for exhibitors are minimal compared to more commercial events. The Hotel takes no commissions on sales.
Interested in showing your work?
Submitting work for consideration is easy. Show us what you got, and what you want to do.
Email us 5 digital samples of your work (low res jpg files only, maximum 1MB each), along with a short bio and a description of the work you will be presenting. Title jpg files with your name and the name of the work as follows ArtistName_Title.jpg Do not send originals!
Please include the following with your submission:
• Name or Name of group
• Please indicate if you are interested in the Public Gallery Space or an Exhibition Room.
• Please include the size of each pice submitted (image size, printed size and framed size if applicable)
• Contact information (phone, email)
• Expression of Intent. One paragraph that describes in plain language why you are interested in showing at “Exposed” and your approach to the installation of the work. Do not worry about art speak this is just to show the curators what your commitment is.
Email submissions to:
David Brown & Ozant Kamaci, c/o Contact 20102 submission, email@example.com